There are two lighthouses in the small village Garður placed on the south-west tip of the Reykjanes Peninsula. The older lighthouse was built in 1897. The newer one was constructed in 1944. For many decades, the lighthouses have ben a popular spot to visit and to photograph; both among Icelanders and in recent years a popular tourist attraction. It has become one of many spots in the country that is constantly being viewed and photographed. The area around the lighthouses is also a popular spot for birdwatchers.